Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The WCOOP Has Begun!!

So I just registered for WCOOP-09: $1050 and this will be my 3/13 event for the series.

I've already played in two WCOOP events on opening day ($215 6-max and $215 Freeze-Out (01 and 03) and also already have my first cash of the series, which came in the $215 6-max for $450. It's nice to know that I can't totally airball the series but it would have been nicer to have a deeper run of course!

In event 03, the $215 FO, nothing really got going for me and I busted fairly early after shoving 55 from the SB against an active button open while sitting on 7.5k (blinds 150-300) and he called and won with AQs. Pretty standard stuff I think.

I planned on registering late for the 6-max because it started at 7am PT and I knew that was not going to happen for me lol. Originally, I was thinking that I wouldn't be a fan of 3 hour late registration at all but after seeing it in action I think it's pretty awesome. Since the first couple of hours are quite slow anyways, I think there's still a ton of value in late registering and of course if you do register on time it's even more beneficial for you (because you will have more reads on the table, more time to pick off softer players, potentially much deeper stack etc.). You can kinda think of the WCOOP start times as flexible now imo.

Anyways, getting back to the 6max. The 6max was much more interesting than the FO and was quite a roller coaster the whole time. I got an early double up very shortly after I registered by flopping a set against top-top and held. I think that I won some more mid-sized pots and then lost half my stack with KK against AA all-in pre to drop me back to 15K (10K starting stacks). I can't remember exactly how but I ended up running my stack all the way up to about 75K before the money bubble (I think there was a pretty big 3-way all-in and I spiked a set and won with QQ) but then lost 20K with KQ against A3o in a steal situation. I went into the money sitting on about 50K, which was probably close to an average stack. Unfortunately, one ill-timed 3bet bluff later (3bet blockers against an active big stack who shoved on me) and a few raise-folds later I was sitting on 30K at 1k-2k blinds. My last hand was annoying for a couple of reasons. First, in the previous hand, the CO opened and I had A7s...it's a tough spot but I think that it's a pretty clear shove against most players but I chose to fold because that was literally the first open I had seen him make in a couple of orbits. As it turned out, the BB called and I found out that he had 45s. The very next hand, he opened the hijack and with this new information I decided to shove my 15bb stack with KQo...and he called with AA lol. The flop ran out KQJ and it looked like I might suck out but that was not to be as the turn and river came 3 3, counterfeiting my 2pair.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series even though my tournament game feels really rusty. I don't feel like I was playing that well in the previous events so hopefully I can learn quickly and get lucky. Especially in the $1k's, I know that I have no edge over the field and will need to run amazing in order to have a deep finish. Maybe if I practiced or got a coach my tournament game would be where it needs to be in order to compete at this level but that ain't gunna happen at this point. I'm freerolling the series anyways and make my living playing cash games so I'm definitely just going to go for it!

I'll be tweeting my progress as the tournaments run so if you want to stay updated go ahead and join my twitter at ***https://twitter.com/#!/frosty012*** (or follow the link on the right hand side of this blog). Thx guys, hopefully I can post some good news over the month!

gl at the tables!

3 comments:

  1. Is this the hand?

    PokerStars Game #67019872264: Tournament #2011090001, $200+$15 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XVIII (800/1600) - 2011/09/04 21:53:26 WET [2011/09/04 16:53:26 ET]
    Table '2011090001 216' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
    Seat 1: Wh0c4r3s (143688 in chips)
    Seat 2: zepher06 (274241 in chips)
    Seat 3: DAZZzzling (186942 in chips)
    Seat 4: frosty012 (50302 in chips)
    Seat 5: rk58 (37607 in chips)
    Seat 6: oldfandango (72088 in chips)
    Wh0c4r3s: posts the ante 200
    zepher06: posts the ante 200
    DAZZzzling: posts the ante 200
    frosty012: posts the ante 200
    rk58: posts the ante 200
    oldfandango: posts the ante 200
    rk58: posts small blind 800
    oldfandango: posts big blind 1600
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to zepher06 [8h 8d]
    Wh0c4r3s: folds
    zepher06: raises 1760 to 3360
    DAZZzzling: folds
    frosty012: raises 3490 to 6850
    rk58: folds
    oldfandango: folds
    zepher06: raises 132350 to 139200

    Was good playing with you. You def played pretty solid and it was mainly me card racking that accounted for my image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I think that's exactly the hand that I was referring to...I think I 3bet A3o or A7o planning on folding obv. Nice shove, how'd you end up in the event??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't win, I know that for sure! Been a pretty frustrating wcoop for me so far, but that's pretty standard obv.

    I actually briefly thought about folding here as you'd been tight in my sample, but given that it's actually a pretty good spot to be light and I knew you were decent I felt like jamming had to show at least a small profit.

    gl for the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete